Purpose and Communication Skills
Here is the easy way to learn about Communication skills without going through a 300+ pages book which, one can forget about before he finishes it
Always start with an Intention: Anything we start, including communication skills, usually has reason and a starting point. While we become conscious about this fact for the obvious things like brushing our teeth to avoid tooth decay, we forget to give the same importance to our communication.
We start talking, go through all the niceties and then some how stumble upon the reason for conversation or make it up by that time. The problem with this approach is that the message looses its power.
If you keep doing this often, you loose the power to bring it to work when needed. As a soldier polishes and keeps his guns fit even during peacetime, we have to keep our arsenal of communication skills handy to use, when required.
Forget techniques and learn principles:
A lot of managers are fond of using something called a Sandwich technique. It is situation where you slip in a negative comment or feedback layered in between two positive comments. It is a good technique no doubt.
But if you repeat it to the same old staff for 2 years, it means you are not capable of innovating. People get conditioned to any one particular behavior over time and so the technique looses its impact.
We all develop a favorite way of reacting to situations. We gather these techniques by experience and learning from others. What we eventually have forgotten is that they are just techniques, and are replaceable.
Something like software programs which almost always get replaced by a better version. But since it works so well to us, we get possessive about it and find our selves bound by it. It becomes difficult to break that mould.
A person in a mould is like a frog in the well. He has limited reach and limited awareness. Technique is like giving fish to a hungry man while understanding a principle is like teaching him fishing. So instead of getting all cluttered up with techniques understand the principles driving them. You will find many on my website.
Develop flexibility in language and in approach:
Most people will think being flexible means using all the words in the Dictionary. Having a good vocabulary does not mean that people have to run for a dictionary every time you speak. Instead, a good vocabulary means that you have created enough choices and variety in your language to suit the listening or reading requirements of many people.
Flexibility is also needed in your approach to communication. Developing more than one approach is really good. If your style of approaching women is the Nice Guy, try the cocky and funny approach. See how that works.
Please do not measure any new skill by the initial response you get because, all new skills need to be naturalized before it becomes effective. As you develop flexibility, you will find yourself more comfortable to live with and then others will also find you comfortable to be with.
So to be the survivor of the fittest in the field of communication skills, always start with an intention in your mind. Once you master this, your level of influence will increase rapidly. Take away your focus on techniques and learn the principles.
This way you tap the source of power itself rather than a branch. The last and most importantly, develop flexibility in your language and approach. It will maximize your audience and thus your power.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- Prosperity and Abundance
- Anger Management
- Stress Reduction and Management Techniques
- Career Planning and Development
- Developing Communication Skills
- Concentration Practice
- Creativity and Innovation
- Coping With Emotions
- Positive Self-Esteem
- Coping With Fear and Anxiety
- The Experience of Happiness
- Using and Improving Intuition
- Leadership Skills
- Love and Love Relationships
- Mental Maturity
- Meditation, Concentration and Mindfulness
- Memory Techniques
- Mental Health
- Mental Peace
- This Page on Mental Peace Has Moved
- Mindfulness Practice
- Self-help Inspiration
- Negotiation Skills
- Personality Development
- Planning, Prioritizing and Budgeting
- The Power of Positive Thinking
- Reading Skills
- Building Relationships
- Relaxation and Stress Reduction
- Silence and Healingm
- Achieving Success
- Visualization Techniques
- The Secret of the Ages by Robert Collier, Index Of Chapters
- The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel
- Self-help Videos - Hinduwebsite.com
- Self-help, Free Audio Downloads
- Think Success: A Book on Self-help
- Being the Best - A Book on Self-help
- Using the Law of Attraction With Right Beliefs
- Awakening to the Silence
- Choosing Your Career - Do What You Love Most
- Career Planning Like a CEO
- How to Manage Career Change and Transition
- Living With Clinical Depression
- Resolving Differences With NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming)
- Effective Communication Skills
- Improving Your Communication Skills
- Are You Listening?
- Top Ten Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills
- Are You a Control Freak?
Author: Sri Hari has been developing new insights in the field of communication skills helping thousands break the mould and enjoy a happier life. Get a taste of his unique perspective at his website