by Jayaram V
Here are some of the techniques to make your website user friendly
1. Create user-friendly navigation. Make
the menus simple and straightforward. Connect every page in the website
to at least one other page so that they can be found by the search
engine crawlers. Keep the navigation and basic page design consistent
through out the site unless you have a very large site and have a
2. Use user-friendly colors, font-sizes
ands formatting styles for your fonts, images, symbols and
backgrounds. Ensure that your site is accessible to even people
with certain disabilities such as color blindness or vision problems.
3. Make the pages visually appealing but
without compromising the basic purpose of what you wanted to display in
4. Avoid information clutter. Avoid using
too many graphics or memory intensive flash images that would slow down
the page downloads. Keep the total number of links on a page to a
maximum of 100.
5. Ensure that all the links are active
6. Use correct html tags and client side
7. Keep the browser variations in mind
while creating the web pages.
8. Make the pages search engine friendly.
9. Ensure that the pages download within
a reasonable time into be browser on slow networks.
10. Use alt tags for all your images.
13. Provide a site map so that your site
visitors can have an over view of what is available at your site.
14. Avoid using image maps or hot keys to
link your site pages.
15. Create contact forms and submission
forms with proper client side and server side validation and let the
visitor know in advance which fields are required fields. Ensure that
the forms are functional.
16. Provide adequate help information to
the users wherever there is a possibility of user interaction.
and post a link to it on each and every page.
18. Create a term of use agreement and
post a link to it prominently on every page.
19. Provide some information about your
site and its purpose to the site visitors.
20 Create your website for the users not
the search engines. Ultimately it is the quality of your site which will
determine its success and ensure its survival.
21. Avoid posting too many banners and
inserting pop ups and pop downs.
22. As far as possible if you are posting
commercial links along with general links, let the customers know which
are which so that they would not feel deceived.
23. Design your website keeping in mind
the least efficient browser, modem and network speed, unless you have
specific audience in mind.
24. Give due credit to the content
writers and creators.
25. Create appropriate meta tags, titles
and keywords for each page. For more information regarding search
engine optimization click here.