Successful Negotiation Skills
Negotiating is a skill that like warfare tactics must be honed. It is important to be mentally prepared to win. Do the ground work well before your reach the negotiating table and decide on the “path” you are going to take. Positivity will help as also a sense of confidence and self esteem. Set aside any doubts you may have and stride forward prepared to win at all costs.
The five cornerstones of successful negotiation skills are placing emphasis on common points; presenting clear arguments; being innovative and open to several options; focusing on the problem being dealt with; looking for a clear solution. The key is to be clear about your preferred outcome. However in the back of your mind you must be willing to compromise to some extent.
A good negotiator is an excellent communicator and understands how human beings think, feel, and function. You must be able to befriend the people seated on the other side of the negotiating table. You must know when to push hard, when to accept a compromise, and when to walk away. A negotiator is in many ways an artist he needs a great amount of creativity to steer the negotiations to a successful completion. A negotiator must keep in mind the 3Fs: fair, fast, and firm.
According to the gurus there are tactics to be used for negotiating:
1. Be focused on the problem or issue. Logical arguments are the key to smooth negotiations.
2. It is important to be firm yet polite when making a stand or presenting a point.
3. Clearly emphasize the advantages and disadvantages.
4. Be patient and let the process of negotiation take its course.
5. Put ego aside and concentrate on the matter at hand. It is finding an amiable solution that’s important not self worth or position.
6. Never threaten or manipulate the opposite party—it is completely unethical and unfair.
7. Aim for solutions that are interest based and not what individual desires or aims are. It is best to consider any situation as a whole rather than from a personal view point.
8. Avoid psychological traps and have the magnanimity to admit when you are wrong. Be open minded.
9. Don’t accept weak solutions and try and negotiate a plausible settlement. Temporary measures are not what you need. A permanent solution must be sought.
10. Value time, schedules, and deadlines. A good negotiator will not beat around the bush or adopt delay tactics or waste time talking about mundane matters. It is professional to immediately get down to the business at hand.
Most human beings are born negotiators. From the first breath a baby takes it makes all around him dance to his tunes. Most of us consciously or unconsciously do what we have to do to get our own way in life. And, if we look closely it is just mastering the art of negotiation.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- Prosperity and Abundance
- Anger Management
- Stress Reduction and Management Techniques
- Career Planning and Development
- Developing Communication Skills
- Concentration Practice
- Creativity and Innovation
- Coping With Emotions
- Positive Self-Esteem
- Coping With Fear and Anxiety
- The Experience of Happiness
- Using and Improving Intuition
- Leadership Skills
- Love and Love Relationships
- Mental Maturity
- Meditation, Concentration and Mindfulness
- Memory Techniques
- Mental Health
- Mental Peace
- This Page on Mental Peace Has Moved
- Mindfulness Practice
- Self-help Inspiration
- Negotiation Skills
- Personality Development
- Planning, Prioritizing and Budgeting
- The Power of Positive Thinking
- Reading Skills
- Building Relationships
- Relaxation and Stress Reduction
- Silence and Healingm
- Achieving Success
- Visualization Techniques
- The Secret of the Ages by Robert Collier, Index Of Chapters
- The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel
- Self-help Videos - Hinduwebsite.com
- Self-help, Free Audio Downloads
- Think Success: A Book on Self-help
- Being the Best - A Book on Self-help
- When Making Divorce Decisions
- Dealing With Emotional Dramas
- Effective Relaxation Techniques
- Home Care versus Nursing Home Care
- Self-Development - Hinduwebsite.com
- Six Questions To Find Your Focus
- Developing Your Abilities With Empowering Affirmations
- Seven Tips to Reach the Ultimate Goal of Success
- Setting And Achieving Goals
- Harmonious Relationships
- The Healing Power of Silence
- Making Use of the Spiritual Laws For Abundance
- How To Build Character Among Children
- Changing The Holiday Season From Stressful To Peaceful
- How To Build And Sustain A Great Love Relationship
- Leadership and the Dynamics of Human Behavior
- Effective Leadership
- Eight Ways To Fall In Love With Fitness
- How To Create Loving Relationships
Author: Paul Wilson is a freelance writer for http://www.Submit-Article-Services.com , the premier Article Submission website including services to submit article, write articles, ghost write articles, plus a guranteed inclusion on 125 sites per article,
Translate the Page