Hymns to Brahspati from the Rig-Veda - Book I
HYMN CXC. Brhaspati.
1.GLORIFY thou Brhaspati, the scatheless, who must be praised with hymns, sweet-tongued and mighty,
To whom as leader of the song, resplendent, worthy of lauds, both Gods and mortals listen.
2 On him wait songs according to the season even as a stream of pious men set moving.
Brhaspati-for helaid out the expanses- was, at the sacrifice, vast Matarisvan.
3 The praise, the verse that offers adoration, may he bring forth, as the Sun sends his arms out,
He who gives daily light through this God's wisdom, strong as a dread wild beast, and inoffensive.
4 His song of praise pervades the earth and heaven - let the wise worshipper draw it, like a courser.
These of Brhaspati, like hunters' arrows, go to the skies that change their hue like serpents.
5 Those, God, who count thee as a worthless bullock, and, wealthy sinners, live on thee the Bounteous,-
On fools like these no blessing thou bestowest: Brhaspati, thou punishest the spiteful.
6 Like a fair path is he, where grass is pleasant, though hard to win, a Friend beloved most early.
Those who unharmed by enemies behold us, while: they would make them bare, stood closely compassed.
7 He to whom songs of praise go forth like torrents, as rivers eddying under banks flow sea-ward-
Brhaspati the wise, the eager, closely looks upon both, the waters and the vessel.
8 So hath Brhaspati, great, strong and mighty, the God exceeding powerful, been brought hither.
May he thus lauded give us kine and horses. May we find strengthening food in full abundance.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- The Rig Veda translation by Griffith, Introduction
- Hymns of the Sama veda translated by Ralph T.H. Griffith
- Yajur Veda: The Veda Of The Black Yajus School
- Hymns Of The Atharva-Veda
- Anugita English Translation
- THE Sanatsugâtîya, A Spiritual Dialogue
- Dharmashastras, the Sacred Law Books of Hindus
- The Hindu Dharmashastras, Subject Index
- The Grihya Sutras, The Vedic Domestic Ritual Texts
- The Sankhya Sutras of Kapila, Index page
- Translation of Upanishads by Swami Paramananda, Index
- A History Of Indian Philosophy - Chapter Index
- The Upanishads translated by Max Muller
- Vedic Reader for Students
- The Bhagavad-gita in a nutshell
Source: An English translation of the Vedas by Ralph T.H. Griffith, 1896.
Translate the Page