What is Freedom?
In the beginning when there was nothing there was consciousness - total consciousness - where no objects and no subjects existed. You are this consciousness.
We are looking for freedom. What is freedom?
It is not in anything objective. It is neither the creation, nor the creator of this universe, nor the God who is looking after preservation, nor destruction. It is none of that. It is neither the sun, nor the moon, nor the stars, nor the wind. Those are not freedom. No object is freedom. Go on rejecting everything objective from the mind. Freedom is nothing that the mind can conceive or perceive or understand. Finally you will arrive at that which cannot be rejected. Go on rejecting everything that can be rejected, all objects. Get rid of all objectification.
Finally, when you see nothing more to be rejected, the mind will be quiet. Mind will be no-mind: That cannot be described. All description belongs to the objective world only and consciousness cannot be objectified. In the beginning when there was nothing there was consciousness - total consciousness - where no objects and no subjects existed. You are this consciousness.
Starting from the beginning, before the beginning, you are this consciousness. And this consciousness became all that you see. You are this consciousness itself. There are millions of kinds of manifestation existing in consciousness and you have become all this. You are the fountain of all this creation.
For this you do not have to exert or make effort, or search for any way or method or practice. Somehow you have to arrive here. How can you do it? Through adoration of the wisdom of the Self. That is consciousness. Adore your own consciousness with wisdom and you have achieved what you are aspiring for here and now.
5-6 December, 1991
Suggestions for Further Reading
- Be So Beautiful That It Finds You
- The Work Is Completed
- Make The Decision To Be Free
- No effort
- What is enlightenment?
- Existence takes care
- When fear comes kiss its face
- Identify yourself with That
- Look Through the eyes of love
- What is meditation
- All this is mind
- No practice is needed
- Biography of Papaji
- Shun the company of the past
- Practice and Non-practice
- Keep quiet
- My Meeting With Ramana Maharshi
- What is satsang?
- The Golden Verses of Pythagoras
- Becoming Aware of Jiddu Krishnamurthy
- What is self?
- What is freedom?
- Who are you?
- Why are you here for satsang?
- Prayers and Quotes From The Mother
- Essays and Writings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother
- Writings and Quotationsof Jiddu Krishnamurthy
- Pythagoras, Pythagorean Wisdom, and Philosophy
- Supreme Personality by Dr. Delmer Eugene Croft
- The Hindu-Yogi Science Of Breath, by Yogi Ramacharaka
Source: Reprinted with the kind permission of the Avadhuta Foundation. The Avadhuta Foundation was established in 1993 to further the teachings of Sri H.W.L. Poonja, affectionately referred to as Papaji, and to make available the archives of Papaji’s talks in India. You may visit their website from here.
Translate the Page