The Encyclopaedia Britannica made its first appearance in Scotland between 1768 and 1771, with just three volumes and a total of 2,391 pages. By 1797, when the third edition was completed, it had 18 volumes containing a wide range of topics, with articles contributed by several experts in their respective fields.
The Early Christian Encyclopedias
1. Institutiones (560 CE) of Cassiodorus'.
2. Etymologiae (636) of St. Isidore of Seville's .
3. Bibliotheca by the Patriarch Photius (9th century) which is earliest Byzantine work that qualifies as an encyclopedia
4. De Proprietatibus Rerum (1240) of Bartholomeus de Glanvilla
5. Speculum Majus (1260) of Vincent of Beauvais, which had over 3 million words.
The early Muslim encyclopedias are:
1. Encyclopedia of the Brethren of Purity.
2. Abu Bakr al-Razi's encyclopedia of science,
3. The Mutazilite Al-Kindi's prolific output of 270 books,
4. Ibn Sina's medical encyclopedia,
5. Works of universal history (or sociology) from Asharites,
6. Tabari's History of the Prophets and Kings,
7. Muqadimmah which contains cautions regarding trust in written records that remain wholly applicable today.
The early Chinese Encyclopedias
1. The Four Great Books of Song, compiled in the 11th century during the early Song Dynasty (960-1279),
2. The last encyclopedia of the four, the Prime Tortoise of the Record Bureau, with 9.4 million Chinese characters in 1000 written volumes.
3. The Dream Pool Essays of Shen Kuo (1031-1095)
4. The Nong Shu of Wang Zhen (1290-1333)
5. The written Tiangong Kaiwu of Song Yingxing (1587-1666).
6. Yongle Encyclopedia, one of the largest encyclopedias in history.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- The Origin and History of Celtic People
- THE EGYPTIAN STORY OF THE CREATI
- Nine Simple Steps How a Lady Gets Her Book Published
- Origin and Development of Sanskrit
- Historical Events, Birthdays And Quotations
- Your Ancestors For 50 Generations
- Grimm's Law - Indo-European Languages
- Historical Relationship Between Sanskrit and Hittite
- Common words of Indo-European languages
- Sanskrit - Links and Resources
- Hypnotism - Theory and Practice
- The World as a Matrix
- Symbolism of Meerkat Island in the Life of PI
- ExperienceFestival Illegal Copying From Other Websites
- Pollution and Evolution
- UFOs and Extra Terrestrial Intelligences
- Afghanistan A Dangerous Place
- Thoughts, Quotes and Quotations
- World Factbook of Countries, Almanacs, Biographies, News Stories
- Currency converter
- Online Dictionaries
- Directory Service
- Online Encyclopedias
- Hinduwebsite - FREE online EBooks and Texts
- The Great Literature E-Page
- Internet Resources on Philosophy and Philosophers
- Hinduwebsite.com - Poetry Links and Resources
- Hinduwebsite.com - Page Replace or Removed
- Spiritual and Devotional Poems and Prayers
- Good Thoughts
- Inspiring Thoughts and Quotations
- The Buddha on God
- Hinduwebsite.com - The General Encyclopedia