10 Ways to Achieve Self-healing
|| Abundance || Stress || Career || Communication || Concentration || Creativity || Emotions || Self-Esteem || Fear || Happiness || Healing || Intuition || Leadership || Love || Maturity || Meditation || Memory || Mental Health || Peace || Mindfulness || Inspiration || Negotiation || Personality || Planning || PMA || Reading || Relationships || Relaxation || Success || Visualization || The Secret || Master Key System || Videos || Audio || Our Books || Being the Best || Resources ||
Self-help means improving yourself and resolving your physical, mental and emotional problems through self-effort, without the help of others, especially professional help. We engage in self-help practices every day, when we resolve our own problems or overcome negative thoughts and emotions. Self-healing is an important aspect of self-help in which we try to heal our minds and bodies in positive and healthy ways for health, longevity, happiness and peace of mind.
Self-healing does not have to be practiced only when one is mentally or physical sick. It can be practiced on a continuous basis to attune and empower oneself to live according to one’s best hopes and aspirations, vision or goals. For that, you have to live mindfully and pay attention to yourself and proactively guard yourself from those thoughts, habits, behavior and actions which may bring you harm or interfere with your wellbeing. Here are a few ways in which you can heal yourself.
1. Healing with food: Food is a medicine in itself. Certain foods contribute to good health. At the same time, food is also a poison. If you are not careful with your choices, you may face health problems. Therefore, pay attention to what you eat, how much you eat, how frequently you eat and how you prepare your food. For specific health problem, you may have to choose foods which contribute to the curing and healing process and avoid those which are harmful.
2. Healing with sleep and rest: Sleep is a great healer. During sleep, your body repairs and reinvigorates itself. Many health problems can be resolved by sleeping adequately and giving the body enough rest. Those who habitually deprive themselves of adequate sleep for any reasons suffer from stress, high blood pressure, anxiety, and other problems. You need at least eight hours of sleep every day to heal your body from regular wear and tear and keep your immune system strong.
3. Healing with silence: In silence you will find many opportunities to heal your mind and body. Your self-awareness also increases, and thereby your ability to listen to others effectively and understand your problems, strengths and weaknesses. You will also find many opportunities to heal and improve your relationships as you listen more and pay attention to others. It also increases your discernment, which in turn will help you know your mistakes and weaknesses and make better decisions for healing and improvement.
4. Healing with love and compassion: Positive states of mind such as love, compassion and understanding heal you. They neutralize the harmful energies which arise from negative emotions such as anger, envy. Negative emotions impair your thinking and judgment. You will also absorb the passions and negativity of others if you respond to them in a similar manner. If you are assailed by negativity and cannot escape from hurtful feelings, practice meditation and focus upon love and compassion. By that, you will gradually heal your thinking and responses.
5. Healing with right thoughts and attitude: Just as your emotions, your thoughts also play an important role in your physical and emotional wellbeing. You can heal yourself and your emotions by changing your thoughts or thinking differently. Thoughts are like the seeds of your mental and emotional states. You reap what you sow. Negative thoughts reinforce your negative qualities and impair your judgment. Therefore, keep a watch on what you think and avoid harboring negative and evil thoughts. Instead, practice right thinking.
6. Healing with right perspective: From psychology we learn that perceptions matter. They in turn depend upon the perspective from which you view the world to make sense of it. Your thoughts, beliefs, opinions and convictions and judgment also depend upon it. Many people cannot think objectively because they are influenced by their own learning, prejudices and self-interests. It is not what happens to us, but how we interpret it or perceive it, which determines our mental and emotional states. It is therefore important to cultivate right perspective, by removing the blockages that interfere with your perceptions.
7. Healing with restraint: An unrestrained mind is a source of many problems. At the same time, if we hold up everything within ourselves and keep wearing masks all the time, at some point we breakdown. We need to let out our thoughts and emotions in a controlled manner, so that we can let out our negative energies without causing much damage to ourselves and others. Yoga shows that you can improve your health and vigor by restraining your mind and body and let out your emotions through breathing and meditation. Therefore, Therefore, practice restraint, regulating your thoughts, desires and impulses, knowing your limitations and controlling your habitual actions and reactions.
8. Healing with cleanliness: We need not have to reemphasize the important connection between health and hygiene or the importance of cleanliness or clean surroundings in overcoming or avoiding many health related problems. They are vital to keeping the body in good health and preventing diseases. In many religions it is emphasized as a divine quality. Both internal and external cleanliness are important. Little observances such as washing your hands or taking a bath or eating clean food or cleaning your house can vastly improve your health and protect you from many contagious diseases and common ailments.
9. Healing with order and discipline: You can avoid many problems and stressful situations by ensuring order and regularity in your life, removing clutter, avoiding extravagance and wastage, practicing discipline, choosing right relationships and priorities, keeping your promises, treating others fairly and respectfully, making right choices and so on.
10. Healing with balance and moderation: Our minds and bodies are made to survive in moderate climate. We endanger our lives whenever we resort to extremities. We cannot tolerate extreme heat or cold, gluttony or starvation or too much sleep or the lack of it. The middle path is the best path. If you are suffering in life for any reason, find out the areas where balance needs to be restored.
In addition to the above, you can also heal your mind and body with purity, clarity, simplicity, right choices, mindful awareness, faith and devotion, self-esteem, right speech and so on. You have power over yourself. You cannot control the world. But you can control your thoughts and emotions and thereby your thinking, perceptions and behavior. You can make your mind work for you rather than against you, reinforcing positive states of mind. With practice, prayers, affirmations, visualization, role playing, etc., you can heal your negativity and depressing thoughts.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- The Power of Determination
- Factors Which Contribute to Happiness
- Mental Maturity and Adult Behavior
- The Power of Your Thoughts
- To Think Outside the Box and Its True Meaning
- How to Avoid Stereotyping People
- Meditation and Levitation
- Enjoying the Simple Pleasures of Life
- 10 Reasons Why Plans Fail
- Thought, Energy and Manifestation
- How to Deal With Unpleasant Situations
- Stop Blaming Others
- Ten Effective Ways to Improve Your Self Esteem
- Determination, The Sustaining Power
- Are you Bored With Your Life?
- What Do You Think Success Means?
- Why People Worship Celebrities and Film Stars?
- Dealing with Adversity
- The Success Mindset
- Why Older Workers Find It Difficult to Get a Job?
- Invite Peace Into Your Life
- How to Practice Forgiveness in Daily Life
- Effective Listening Skills
- Being the Best - A Book on Self-help
- Think Success : Essays on Self-help
- Essays On Dharma
- Esoteric Mystic Hinduism
- Introduction to Hinduism
- Hindu Way of Life
- Essays On Karma
- Hindu Rites and Rituals
- The Origin of The Sanskrit Language
- Symbolism in Hinduism
- Essays on The Upanishads
- Concepts of Hinduism
- Essays on Atman
- Hindu Festivals
- Spiritual Practice
- Right Living
- Yoga of Sorrow
- Mental Health
- Concepts of Buddhism
- General Essays
Translate the Page