Computer Routine Maintenance
If you own a computer it needs to be well protected and maintained. If you have a business and using computers to manage it the need is much greater. Besides loss of valuable data and application software, you may suffer from business interruption due to the failure of your computers. Your computers are your valuable assets which need to be maintained well protected. The following suggestions may help you prolong the life of your computers.
1. Keep your computers in well ventilated area away from possible rain or water damage. Also keep them as far as possible beyond the reach of children and pets. If you own a dog ensure that your dog will not develop a special taste for the electric wires and cables. The CPU and Screen should get adequate air through the vents to remain cool.
2. Use a surge protector to safeguard your equipment from unusual voltage fluctuations. Also unplug the computer during abnormal weather conditions.
3. Clean the equipment once in a while , the mouse, the screen, the keyboard and most important of all the CPU. Click here to read more about computer cleaning.
4. Switch off the computer whenever you are not using it.
5. Use strong passwords to protect your computer from unauthorized access.
6. Use a screen saver to prolong the life of your screen.
7. Use standard software even if it is a little expensive. Do not download and install software if you are not sure of the source.
8. Install only those programs you actually intend to use. Cluttering the computer with too many applications would slow down your computer and also use up your computer memory and disk space.
9. Install only those programs that are compatible with your computer configuration. Read the requirements carefully before installation.
10. Install reliable anti-virus software, firewall and anti-spyware to protect your computer against viruses, hackers, pop-ups, spy ware, spam and other security threats. If you are using Window operating system try Microsoft's new Windows Defender, which is is "a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software."
12. Use System Tools to clean up and defragment the disk once in a while.
13. Configure your browser security and privacy settings appropriately to protect your computer from harmful ActiveX controls and third party components.
14. If you are using Windows Update protect your computer from latest threats and vulnerabilities by using the automatic update feature.
15. Take regular backups of your computer data. Use a internal or external Read and Write CD/DVD-ROM or Zip Drive (such as ) and appropriate software (visit ) to take regular backups. You can also use a third party online data storage provider to store your data.
16. Despite all these precautions a computer may still breakdown for one reason or the other. If it is a new computer your computer may be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. But the manufacturer's warranty may not cover all the losses and expenses. It is advisable to opt for some form of insurance cover for your equipment which is usually provided by the vendors from whom you buy.
18. Check whether you can prolong the life of your computer by adding additinal memory cards, hard disk etc.
Suggestions for Further Reading
- Common Gateway Interface - CGI
- CRM, Customer Relationship Management
- Data Warehouse and Data Mining Technologies
- Relational Databases
- DHTML Scripts - Resources For Dynamic Websites
- Domain Name Registration Services
- Ecommerce and Online Store Solutions
- Online Marketing Solutions and Promotions
- Essays on Information Technology
- Free Software, Tools and Applications
- Computer and Web Graphics
- HyperText Markup Language
- Html Tools for World Wide Web
- Java Programming language, Tutorials, Tools and Applets
- Computer Networks
- Computer Operating Systems
- OS X Mountain Lion and Parallels Desktop For Mac
- Perl Scripts - Resources for CGI and Perl Programming
- Programming Languages
- Project Management
- Search Engines and SEO
- Web design and Website development
- Best Web Hosting Services
- Web Resources and Web Tools
- Web Tools And Web Resources For The Web Masters
Translate the Page